Friday, February 27, 2009

Brody's Birth Story

We went in at 5:30am to the hospital to be induced. I got all the paperwork filled out and went up to Labor and Delivery. I got changed into my gown and hooked up to the monitors and was started on an IV. I was still at 3cm when we got there. I was monitored for about an hour and then started pitocin at around 7am. By 8:30 i was in extreme pain and begging for some medicine. I was now at 4cm so i was able to get a spinal block. I got it at 8:45. I had some relief for about an hour and a half and then started to feel really painful contractions again. They started to get extremely painful and unbearable and by 10am i was begging for something else for the pain. The baby's heart rate kept dropping so the dr. said i couldn't get anything through an IV. Finally at 10:30 the dr. broke my water-i was 7-8cm. I started feeling like i needed to push soon after that. Now is when it gets a little fuzzy. I was in excruciating pain and feeling tons of pressure. I got checked again around 11 and was 9cm. I broke down and started crying and saying i couldn't do it anymore. I was just in way too much pain and i remember telling the doctor that i couldn't push. Brad went and got my mom and told her to come in the room and she helped try to calm me down. Finally they got me over on my back and i started pushing. I can't remember what time i started pushing. Once i figured out how to push correctly it was really quick. My mom said i pushed through only 3 contractions. Brody was born at 11:39am. My total labor was 4.5 hours!! He came out with his eyes wide open and was very alert. He started crying while he was still halfway out! I had an episiotomy and got to hold Brody while the doctor was sewing me up. Then he was weighed and measured and brought back to me. I nursed him right then and he latched on perfectly. He nursed for about 15 minutes on each side. He is such a sweet little baby and is absolutely perfect!


8 comments:

Mel said...

You look great! Glad you had such a quick labor. Brody is so cute!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say pretty much everything Mel said!

Congratulations again! He's just perfect! :)

Karla said...

Wow what a great labor! Lucky girl! Brody is adorable. Congrats again!

Rebecca said...

Short labor! Doesn't make the pain any less for you though!
He is handsome!
Congrats!

Stacey said...

Wow that was a short labor. He is so cute. Congrats again.

Mama Mia said...

You look great and he is SUPER cute

Karen said...

What a great birth story! Congratulations...he is adorable.

Kaycee said...

CONGRATULATIONS Erin!!!! I"m so sorry it's taken me so long to get on here. Stupid surgery and moldy house. haha! He is GORGEOUS! I'm so happy to hear that everything is going great. Love his name too :)